Monday 29 April 2013

New beginnings

It's the same old story for so many people.  I had my first baby in August 2012 (at 38) and now, nearly nine months into this crazy adventure of parenthood, I have decided it is time to come out from my self-imposed social seclusion and come blinking into the bright light of 'the rest of my life'.  Don't get me wrong, I was no stick-thin fashonista before the arrival of the monkey princess (our gorgeous daughter) but what with staring down the barrel of 40 I finally feel that there can be no more excuses. So, my aims for the next twelve months are:

Get Fit
I know this is a bit vague and wishy-washy and I need to firm up some details.  But the basics are that I need to be more active, for so many reasons.  I want to be able to run around and play with the monkey princess without feeling like I am going to die.  I want us to have active, outdoors lifestyles and I want to enjoy physical activity.  I used to run, and have done two 5k in my time (I know, step aside Paula Radcliffe), and what I remember is that running is actually a fantastic feeling when you can do it without doubling over in an asthmatic heap after just two minutes.  I also like swimming, walking and cycling so all of these should be getting a fair crack of the whip in the months to come.  Let us not underestimate the benefits of pushing a 25lb baby up a hill in a buggy, or how much you can improve your fitness for free.  I noticed the other day that my local park has some of that 'outdoor gym' equipment which, when I feel brave enough, I shall take advantage of!

Lose Weight
I reckon I put on about 2-3 stone when I was pregnant.  I've probably lost the lion's share of that (how much do lions weigh?) but the fact of the matter is that I was overweight before I was pregnant.  I'm not a naturally thin person, and I hope I am realistic enough to realise that I am never going to be waif like (and not sure I would want to be).  However, I also know that as part of Get Fit I will need to lose weight - probably 3-4 stone would be good.  I want to try and focus on the fit of my clothes and how I feel in myself, rather than becoming a slave to the scales, but for the record I will probably weigh myself, I dunno, once a month?

Take pride in my appearance
This very much links to Get Fit and Lose Weight.  I have no 'style' and never really have done.  Clothes have always been a bit of an after-thought for me, and because I've nearly always been overweight (in varying degrees) it's often been a case of buying and wearing what fits rather than what suits.  I'm also lazy with hair, make-up, skin etc.  These things don't need to take time or money and I can't help thinking that I will feel so much more confident, happy and capable if I am not constantly worrying that I look scruffy and unkempt.

Do more than watch TV
Again, not very SMART but let me elaborate.  Every evening I slump on the sofa and watch TV.  Not even necessarily TV that I want to watch, just any old thing that is on.  I know there are so many other things that I could be doing with my time.  I used to be a big reader (that's the commuting lifestyle for you) and I have piles of books around the house just waiting to be read.  I've always wanted to write and have made various attempts over the years.  I need to focus.

Embrace SAHM (Stay At Home Mum) status
By this I mean I want to try and be an effective and worthwhile SAHM.  I need to be more organised, more active and take pride in housewifery and child-rearing.  Not in a non-feminist way.  It was my choice to not return to work and I really believe that being a SAHM should be viewed as career in itself.  There are plenty of skills to learn and master.  I've never been much of a cook and I want to change this.  I'm quite house proud, but lazy a lot of the time (see above aim).  I might even look into some craft activities (me and the rest of the Western world).  I'd also like to get more involved with the local community.  The town I live in has so much going for it and is going through some big changes at the moment (we have a Masterplan from the local council - how exciting!) so there's never been a better time to get involved and be able to make a difference.

So, that's what it's all about.  I'll be posting about the changes I'm making, what works and what doesn't and hope to pick up some useful hints and tips from readers and fellow bloggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment